Frequently Asked Questions
|What is the commitment term if I were to join?|
There is no commitment term as we do not require a long term contract. We charge monthly. New users are free for the first|
month and you can quit at anytime.
|When I first signup, do I need to provide a payment method?|
|No, because there is no obligation to convert to a paying member.|
|I am not completely sure that I understand what you would charge based on usage. Can you give|
Sure. If the max storage at any point during the previous month was between|
0-10 GB, it would cost $ 1
10-20 GB, it would cost $ 2
|If I were to become a new user, would there be any feature limitations during the first 30 days?|
|None. The features are identical in every way to a paying account.|
|Regarding my monthly cost how do I know how much space all of my files occupy?|
|Login and click "Show Space Used".|
|If I join but decide not to become a paying member what happens to my account?|
One week after your free trial ends, we delete your account. We send a few reminder emails along the way so that you'll be|
|How do I become a paying member?|
|Login and click "Become Paying Member".|
|What if I am a regular paying member and during a monthly billing cycle my credit card can't be|
We send you a email to let you know that we are having difficulty charging your credit card. The email will also let you know|
that you have one week to resolve the issue so that your credit card can be charged. If for some reason we are unable to
charge your credit card within that time, your account (including all of your files) will be deleted.
|Can I delete my account?|
Yes, anytime. Just login and click "Delete Account". Please note that deleting your account completely erases all of your files|
and it won't be possible to get them back.
|Where are the CloudBuddy servers located?|
The CloudBuddy servers are hosted from a colocation data center in the Minneapolis–Saint Paul metro area. CloudBuddy|
has a high availability Service Level Agreement (SLA) in place for both bandwidth and uptime.
|How can CloudBuddy be viable at the prices it charges?|
For users that have low to moderate storage needs, we wanted to offer a sftp service that was at a lower cost than the|
competition. Because of the lower cost, we knew that we needed to setup CloudBuddy differently. Here are some ways that
we have been able to keep our costs down:
|* CloudBuddy doesn't have commercial office space|
This saves on rent, utilities, etc. The address listed on this website is a PO Box. Also, the phone number is a virtual one|
(which auto-notifies us when a caller leaves a message).
|* CloudBuddy does not depend on proprietary software|
|Instead, open source software is used.|
|* The CloudBuddy website has low maintenance costs|
The CloudBuddy website was written from scratch and in a decoupled manner. It also has minimal dependencies. These|
two points significantly reduce long term costs. Here is a high level breakdown of the code:
- Total lines: Just over 15K (~7500 front end, ~7500 back end).|
- The back end is written in C++ with a very small amount written in Perl.
|What security does CloudBuddy utilize?|
|* Physical security|
- The data center that CloudBuddy uses has 24 hour onsite security with internal and external video surveillance.|
- Two factor authentication is required to enter the data center. One is by custom badge and the second is by biometric ID.
- The data center was built with a fire prevention architecture.
- All servers housed is the data center appear anonymous (i.e. all servers are unnamed and unmarked).
- The CloudBuddy servers are in their own designated cabinet and can only be accessed with a security combination key.
|* Software security|
- Two factor authentication is required to initially register.|
- All webpages are only accessible by https (HTTP Secure).
- All webpages only utilize secure cookies.
- Sensitive information, including passwords, are: salted, hashed, encrypted and decentralized (CloudBuddy does not use
databases. All sensitive user data is saved/accessed through custom C++ binary parsers).
- Fail2ban is enabled.
- The mod_evasive module is enabled.
- The mod_reqtimeout module is enabled.
- If there are 10 incorrect sftp username/password attempts, the client's terminal window will freeze for 10 minutes.
- sftp sessions that are inactive for more than 10 minutes are automatically logged off.
|Does CloudBuddy perform backups?|
Yes. Two copies of your data are stored external to the CloudBuddy servers. One is colocated in the data center. The other|
one is saved offsite. The frequency of backing up is at least once per day.